After a lot of thinking, I decided to stop procrastinating and start writing some of my experiences. So, here I am........

All Posts

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Must Watch Hindi Movies

When I was writing about A Wednesday in my last blog, I started thinking about all the great movies made in Bollywood. I prepared a list of movies I liked most. There are many Bollywood movies which are really amazing and it was difficult to prepare a short list. Also, it was very difficult to rank hem because these movies are of different genre. I am not a great connoisseur of art. So, the prepared list is not the perfect one for sure. Still, I have tried to collect movies which have created a great effect on Indian Cinema and which I personally liked most.


1 Lagaan: Lagaan is the third Hindi movie nominated for Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. The movie is about a cricket match between Indian farmers and British army. Movie has very well used all the fundas of cricket to make it a great thriller.


2 Sholay: Sholay is the best masala movie of Bollywood. It's a great mixture of comedy, action and music. I liked comedy part the most, especially jail scenes and mausi scene


3 Bandit Queen: Bandit Queen is a true story of Phoolan Devi. The best part about this movie is it's very much realistic. It seems like a recording of tragedies that happened with Phoolan Devi.


4.Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar: This movie is about losing and winning in a inter-college cycle race. The way, movie has presented conflicts between poor students and rich students, is awesome.


5 Taare Zameen Par: Another great movie by Amir Khaan. It's a story of an 8 year old child who suffers from dyslexia. Rather than helping him, his teachers and classmates subject him to constant humiliation. His parents also do not understand his problem and expect, him to excel in studies.


6 Pyaasa: This movie is one of rare and great symbolic Bollywood movies. The movie tells the story of struggling poet, trying to make his works known in post-independence India. One of the great movies, directed by Guru Dutt.


7 Gol Maal: Great work by Hrishikesh Mukherjee (director), Amol Palekar(Lead Actor) and Utpal Dutt(Actor in supporting role). These guys are the experts for drama movies. Gol Maal is a great drama about a guy trying to be two guys.


8 Saaransh: One of the great art movies by Mahesh Bhatt. Anupem Kher plays key role in the movie. He plays a father who's son has died in abroad. Movie shows struggles of an old man when he tries to help an unmarried pregnant girl.
Anupem Kher was young when he played the role of an old man. He did it very well and got Filmfare Award for this movie.


9 A Wednesday: Please see my last log


10 Andaz Apna Apna:This is the best Indian comedy movie, I believe. This movie is about two guys who fight for marrying a rich girl. It turns out that girl is not rich, but was pretending to be rich.


This list is very short and doesn't include many Bollywood movies which could have been included, I am going to add some more movies to above list very soon, in my next blog, .....



No comments: